Most avid battlefield tourists are familiar with the “demarcation stones” erected in France and Belgium by the Touring Club de France and Touring Club de Belgique to mark the limit of the German advance in 1918. According to Rose Coombs, MBE: “They were designed by the sculptor Paul Moreau Vauthier who produced three basic types, differing mainly in the helmet of the capstone. These were either of the British tin helmet or the French and Belgian ‘Poilu’s’ helmet design. On the side of the stones were decorations consisting of a soldier’s equipment–gas mask case, water bottle, etc. and each bore the inscription ‘Here the Invader was brought to a standstill’ in either French, Flemish or English. On the front face the name of the place they were to stand in or near was inscribed.” (Coombs, Before Endeavors Fade, p. 6.)
However, the stone photographed above is NOT situated along the Western Front: 1) Can any reader identify its location? 2) Can any reader provide clues as to how it ended up where it is?
Webmaster Randy Gaulke and associate Erik L. Burro know the answer to question 1, but would love to hear any information that can help answer question 2.