We forget today just what an impact World War One had on the lives of its participants and their families. As in many cities and towns across the U.S., the Governor of Maryland and the Mayor of Baltimore appointed a joint building commission in 1919–only months after the war’s end–for a war memorial as “a tribute to those citizens of Maryland who gave their lives and services to their country in World War 1.”
Across from Baltimore’s City Hall, ground was broken on 22 November, 1921 and the cornerstone was laid on 29 April, 1923. The building was dedicated on 5 April 1925.
Today, the War Memorial can still be visited, and one can see numerous displays and plaques commemorating the deeds of Marylanders in that war and in other wars. It is likely that relatively few people visit the War Memorial today. Fortunately, the East Coast Branch of the Western Front Association has hosted many of its seminars there–a very fitting location. As a result, this webmaster has visited it a few times over the years.
Readers in the area or visiting Baltimore are encouraged to stop in and take a look at this magnificent building and its artifacts and stories.
The War Memorial is situated at 101 N Gay Street in downtown Baltimore. Additional information can be found on this website: http://warmemorial.baltimorecity.gov/.