Caption: Neuvilly-en-Argonne, Church where Salvation Army Lassies held a service and house that was used as a Salvation Army Canteen
Location: Church is on the D946 in the center of Neuvilly-en-Argonne; Canteen building is behind the church and across the street.
Source of Then Photos: “The War Romance of the Salvation Army” by Evangeline Booth and Grace Livingston Hill, 1919.
Source of Now Photos: The Webmaster
Excerpts from “The War Romance of the Salvation Army,” pages 245-250:
“The house that had been selected for a Salvation Army canteen was nearly all gone. One end was comparatively intact, with the floor still remaining, and this was to be for the canteen. The rest of the building was a series of shell holes surrounding a cellar from which the floor had been shot away.”
“Across the road from the most ruined end of the canteen building stood an old church. All of its north wall was gone save a supporting column in the middle, all the north roof gone. There were holes in all of the other walls… It had been used all day for an evacuation hospital.”