It is early March, 2018, and the St. Mihiel and Meuse-Argonne Offensive Commemoration Events are just months away: There are still some places remaining for the Small-Group Battlefield Walk Series that the Webmaster and Markus Klauer have organized in late September; but readers are strongly encouraged to sign up today.
There are several reasons readers should join the tour series. Here are the major ones:
- The real gem is envisioned to be the afternoon hike in the field. For each day–i.e. each specific Army Corps covered–the organizers will select lesser-known sites between the jump-off lines and the Kriemhilde Stellung (aka Hindenburg Line) to be visited on foot. It is difficult to get this level of field activity on most organized bus tours.
- Corollary: The morning “monument tour” is perfect for those who lack either the interest level or physical endurance to be “in the field” the full day.
- The combined German – American approach (and the 60+ years of combined experience of the German and American tour guides) will also present a unique perspective.
- Furthermore, each tour’s small size will encourage maximum interaction and learning.
- Randal and Markus have organized this walk series around the key American Battle Monuments Commission Commemoration Ceremonies on 22 and 23 September; making it easy for participants to attend these events too.
- On 22 September the ABMC will hold a Commemoration Ceremony at the St. Mihiel American Cemetery in Thiaucourt.
- On 23 September the AMBC will hold a Luminary Event (i.e. Candle Lighting) at the Meuse-Argonne American Cemetery in Romagne-sous-Montfaucon.
- Finally, Randal and Markus have also organized a “Centennial Dinner and Meet & Greet” on Friday evening, 21 September. This will offer participants a chance to meet other American and European history buffs. (More in another blogpost.)
The tour brochure has been posted here: Small Group Final 6 Pages Jan 2018
Please direct any questions to Webmaster and Tour Guide, Randy Gaulke.